Monday, August 10, 2009

Primal Challenge days 6, 7, and 8

Got too caught up this weekend to blog, but I took pictures of my food and stuff. :)

day 6

weight: 133.2 (-0.4, net -3.2)
exercise: none

breakfast: none


lunch: Went to a Korean buffet. Loaded up on meat that we grilled at the table plus a bunch of little veggie side dishes (banchan). We shared all the meat in the pic (pork belly is on the grill! yum) and all the veggies (plus another smaller plate) and had some orange slices for dessert. Also we had two dipping sauces for the meat that were super salty - I think one was fermented bean paste and the other was soy sauce based. I know the soy sauce probably had wheat in it, but I didn't care for today. :)

dinner: We were so full from lunch we didn't have dinner.


dessert: Strawberry ice cream (coconut milk, frozen strawberries, little spoonful of honey) - it got so thick it burned out the motor of the ice cream maker. :( No more ice cream for me! Tasted really good though.

beverages: green tea, water

**The Korean BBQ got me temporarily obsessed with Asian food. I got some cookbooks out of the library and it influenced my cooking for the next few days.

----------------

day 7

weight: 134.6 (+1.4, net -1.8) This was water weight from the extreeeemely salty Korean food.
exercise: walked 2 miles in the middle of the afternoon and got a little burnt

breakfast: none


lunch: Out at a BBQ joint. I got beef brisket with mint cucumber salad, collard greens, cole slaw, and pickles. Also had a handful of peanuts in the shell and some unsweetened iced tea. Pic from my camera phone because I forgot my camera.

snack:
1/4 cup roasted unsalted almonds
2 tiny dried peach halves


dinner: Leftovers. Hubby had leftover stew from Friday night and salad. I chopped up some veggies that were kicking around the bottom of the fridge (cabbage, bell pepper, scallions, mushrooms) and sauteed them with a little tamari (wheat-free soy sauce) and rice wine. Drizzled with sesame oil off the heat. Fried two eggs and put them on top of the veggies along with some furikake (Japanese condiment you're supposed to sprinkle on rice - this one has some freeze dried veggies and seaweed).

beverages: iced black tea, green tea, water

----------------

day 8

weight: 133.6 (-1, net -2.8) Lost most of the water weight. :)
exercise: walked 3.75 miles in the OMG HORRIBLE HEAT - it should be against the law for it to be in the 90s before noon

breakfast: none


lunch:
cod fillet marinated in a splash each of tamari, mirin, and rice vinegar along with some grated ginger and 1/2 tsp miso
mixed sauteed veggies (cabbage, daikon, mushrooms, scallions) with tamari, rice vinegar, sesame oil, sesame seeds, furikake


dinner: Homemade Korean BBQ spread!
daeji bulgogi (pork bulgogi) - I got the thin sliced pork from the Korean grocery store and made my own marinade
2 kinds of jarred kimchi
toasted seaweed sheets
3 kinds of homemade banchan - daikon salad, mung bean sprouts, mystery greens from the Korean store - all made with some combination of sesame oil, sesame seeds, red pepper flakes, garlic, scallions, rice vinegar, and salt

also 5 cherries for dessert

beverages: green tea, rooibos tea, water

I got the recipes for the daeji bulgogi and banchan from a book I got out of the library called Eating Korean by Cecilia Hae-Jin Lee. I actually have a daeji bulgogi recipe I usually use, but I decided to try the one from the book today. I think I like my other daeji bulgogi recipe better, but the banchan rocked. :)

Sadly though, I am puffed up like a balloon tonight. My tummy did not like something I ate. I am suspecting either soy or sesame, since I don't normally eat either of them and I've been eating them both every day for 3 days. Bah humbug. I was enjoying my Asian food kick.

3 comments:

Yummy said...

YUM! You know I love me some Korean BBQ!!! Awesome that you made the homemade Korean feast! I am so impressed! I'll have to check out that cookbook you mentioned.

Sorry your tummy was messed up. Mine hurt too last night for some reason.

Have a great day! :)

Mindy said...

Wow you are amazing!!! Keep up all the great work!!! I am Korean and love love love Korean food!!! Very very very high in sodium tho!! ugh. Maybe the sodium is what bloated you? Or could be the combo of soy and sodium? Do you by chance have the recipe for the ice cream?!!! Oh also, just wondering... what state do you live in? I live in Austin TX and the heat is MISERABLE!!!!! I HATE IT!!! It's the main reason I get my butt up at 5 or 6am to do my CrossFit workouts LOL.

Hope you have a wonderful week!!!!!

-Min =)

Elizabeth said...

YG - The cookbook is really good! I got a few different ones from the library and that one was definitely my favorite. Hope our tummies sort themselves out. :)

Mindy - I think it definitely was the sodium, since I got bloated from my homemade Korean food too! Tasted so good though. I first got into Korean food when my uncle married a Korean lady and I've loved it ever since. :)

For the ice cream, I used 1 can of coconut milk, about 3 cups of frozen strawberries, 2 T raw honey, and some vanilla. Just puree it in a blender and then put it in the ice cream maker. It's actually sweet enough without the honey I think, but the honey makes it scoopable for if you actually put it in the freezer instead of eating it right away.

I live in Virginia and it's so hot and HUMID. The humidity is what kills me. I went out to run today at 9 AM and it was already sweltering! I need to get up at 5 like you do!