Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Primal Challenge Day 3 plus steak fajita and tomatillo salsa recipes

weight: 135 lbs (no change)

breakfast: none


lunch:
*leftover beer-marinated steak
*salad - escarole, radicchio, endive, carrot, celery, cucumber, balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil and ground cherries - I've never had ground cherries before but I got them in my CSA and had no idea what to do with them so I threw them in the salad. They were good! Kinda tomatillo-y.
*roasted unsalted almonds
*mug of black tea

snack: none


dinner:
*beef fajita strips
*avocado tossed with sea salt and lime juice
*spicy tomatillo salsa
*sliced tomato with sea salt, black pepper, and exra virgin olive oil

dessert: none

For the fajitas I mostly used this recipe for the marinade: http://www.texascooking.com/recipes/fajitamar1.htm, but I added a jalapeno and a handful of cilantro and a splash of triple sec. I marinated 1.5 lbs skirt steak in it all afternoon, then patted it dry and seared it in a cast iron skillet for 5 minutes on each side. While the meat rested, I poured the leftover marinade back into the pan and let it bubble down a little as I scraped the bottom. Then I sliced the steak and tossed it back in the pan and heated it in the reduced marinade for about 2 minutes. It was great!

I also made some spicy tomatillo salsa because I needed to use up some tomatillos that we got in our CSA. I used this recipe from Rick Bayless: http://topchefs.chef2chef.net/recipes/rbayless/roasted-tomatillo-salsa.htm It is really killer! Super spicy and a great flavor. I think I followed it exactly, for once.

I've been having tomatoes as side dishes a lot because we get them in our CSA and cooked tomatoes give me heartburn.

exercise:
Went to the county parks and recreation website and found a public pool. Paid $8 and swam a few laps then soaked up some sun. Yay vitamin D! Also, I suck at swimming and found it unreasonably exhausting. I could only do 1 full lap without stopping. After that I had to stop halfway across the pool each time. Even so I only managed 4.5 laps. Well you gotta start somewhere, right?

Also I walked 1.5 miles. My butt is sore today from all the walking I did yesterday. Shrink butt, shrink!

4 comments:

Yummy said...

hehe! I give the same message to my butt - it doesn't seem to listen!! :)

Your food looks utterly amazing as always!

I love Rick Bayless! He seems like such a nice fellow. I tried to go to one of his restaurants when I was in Chicago last year but it was closed that day. SO sad!

Mindy said...

hey girlie!!!

just curious.. if you dont mind me askin =)...why dont u eat breakfast??

Elizabeth said...

YG - Yeah, Rick Bayless is the best! We watch his PBS cooking show when we can. Too bad you didn't get to eat at his restaurant, that woulda been something. :)

Mindy - I'm not really a morning person and I'm usually just not hungry! If I'm hungry for breakfast I'll eat it though. Had breakfast today actually, just haven't posted it yet. :)

Mindy said...

cool cool!! I was just curious cuz for weight loss its very important to eat bfast/eat an hour or so withing waking up (if possible) cuz it gets ur metabolism goin!! sorry to hear ur car broke down =( but congrats on the weight loss!!! keep up all the great work!!! ur an inspiration!