Friday, November 7, 2008

Butternut Souffle

Sorry I've been a little MIA! My husband and I went on a mini vacation to the mountains in Asheville, NC to get away from work for a little while and enjoy fall in the mountains. Asheville was a real treat, too. They are very big into local organic food there and almost every restaurant we went to proudly touted the menu items made from local ingredients. My kind of city!

Anyway I'm back in the kitchen now. I gotta say it was nice not having to cook and do dishes for a week. :) Here is something I made today from leftovers that turned out exceedingly well.



BUTTERNUT SOUFFLE
serves 2-3 as a side dish

approx 1 cup of butternut squash puree (canned is fine)
2 eggs
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp mustard powder
1 tsp paprika
2 T coconut milk
handful of chopped pecans

Beat together all the ingredients except for the pecans. Spread into a small greased baking dish or ramekin. Sprinkle the nuts on top. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes.

This would work great as a side dish for dinner, but I was a little piggy and ate the whole thing for lunch today.

3 comments:

Lauren said...

Hmm, this looks really good! I'm trying to imagine the nuts and squash with the savory spices. You are such a creative cook. Am trying this for breakfast tomorrow... :)

Elizabeth said...

I had been getting kind of sick of pumpkin pie spice lately, so I decided to mix it up a little. The savoriness makes a nice change!

Kelly said...

wow, this does look good! i'm going to have to try it. I'm glad you enjoyed Asheville, it's one of my favorite places in the world!

Kelly
Carolina Mornings: Discover Asheville
http://carolinamornings.blogspot.com