Monday, March 30, 2009

Tahini Mustard Salad Dressing

I pack my husband's lunch every day, and about 99% of the time it includes a salad. Usually I just throw together some extra virgin olive oil with whatever vinegar looks good, but sometimes I like to change it up a little. This tahini mustard dressing is one of his favorites. It's super thick and creamy, but 100% dairy-free! The dressing is very versatile too. As well as using it for dressing salad greens, it's great as a substitute for mayonnaise in chicken/tuna salad or cole slaw. It's also delicious as a marinade for grilled or broiled chicken. It will keep for at least a week in the fridge, but it never lasts that long around here.



ingredients:
1/2 cup tahini
3/4 cup water
1/2-3/4 tsp sea salt
3 T apple cider vinegar or 1/4 cup lemon juice
2 T prepared mustard, any kind
2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder

Just dump everything in a food processor and let it rip for a few seconds to combine. It will be very runny initially, but it will firm up significantly in the refrigerator. Enjoy!

Recipe adapted from The Garden of Eating by Rachel Albert-Matesz.

12 comments:

Marc said...

Only thing I do different is to use fresh garlic.
Great recipe!
For something unconventional, try your dressing with smoked salmon.
The flavors are un real together.

Marc

Elizabeth said...

I think the first time I ever made this dressing I had it on a salad with some smoked trout and it was amazing - I bet the salmon is just as good! Thanks for commenting. :)

Marc said...

Gave you a shout out on my blog today.
Keep posting the good stuff and have a great day!

Marc

Son of Grok said...

That looks absolutely delicious. Forgive ,my lameness here.. but what is tahini?

The SoG

Elizabeth said...

Marc - Awesome, thanks!

SOG - Tahini is basically sesame seed butter. :)

Lauren said...

Your husband is so lucky to get a lunch packed by you every day, Elizabeth!

That dressing is wonderful. I remember when you shared it on the active lowcarber forums. Great stuff! So deceptively creamy. And that jars looks perfect for storing freshly made dressings! Must hunt one down.

Mark said...

I made this last night - wonderful. You continue to deliver such interesting, tasty, and healthy recipes. Thanks!!

Elizabeth said...

Lauren - Thanks! :) I think I got the jar at a craft store (Michael's probably).

jumpow - I'm glad you liked it!

Geraldine said...

This sounds great. Ive been searching for a good and easy tahini dressing. Nice photo too.

Geraldine

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Just made this! Can't wait to throw it on a salad. To Marc, though, this smells like it'd be amazing on salmon!!!

Jade said...

Amazing! I used fresh garlic and added some chives.
Best salad dressing ever!