Thursday, February 5, 2009

Greens Series - Day 4 - Broiled Kale

This is another rather unusual way to make kale. I used to make kale or collards several times a week and just braise them with a little garlic and chicken stock. I liked the greens cooked that way, but my husband got so sick of it after awhile that I had to find other ways to make them. This way is surprisingly delicious, different, and takes less than 5 minutes to cook!


Broiled Kale

ingredients:
1 bunch of kale
extra virgin olive oil
sea salt
black pepper

Preheat the broiler. Remove the ribs from the kale and roughly chop it. Line a large baking sheet with foil and spread the kale out. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Put the kale under the broiler. Watch it the whole time! Don't take your eyes off it! When the edges just start to brown (this only takes a minute or two or three), take it out of the oven and give it a stir. Put it back under the broiler and watch it until it starts to brown again (just another minute). Take it out and serve.

-----------------

Posts in the Greens Series:
Relaxed Kale Salad
Spinach Pesto
Baby Bok Choy with Ginger
Broiled Kale
Southern Style Collards

3 comments:

Erica said...

Hello! I love this recipe! I call them kale chips because they are so crispy and remind me of the potatoes I used to eat... Thanks for posting. ~Erica

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for commenting! I love the parts that get crispy enough that they are like chips; what a great name for them!

Erica said...

Yes, I think I bake them too long. But crispy is good. Thanks!