Friday, April 10, 2009

Bacon Mayonnaise!

I had been threatening to do it for weeks, and I finally did it. I took my leftover bacon grease and turned it into mayonnaise. I love mayonnaise, but I hardly ever eat it anymore because it's impossible to find a commercial brand that isn't made with a bad vegetable oil. I don't like homemade mayo made with extra virgin olive oil as it tastes far too strong. Light olive oil makes a palatable mayo, but light olive oil has undergone some pretty severe processing, making it not ideal either. Enter the bacon fat!



I didn't bother to strain my drippings which is why my mayonnaise is speckled, but the taste is still outrageously good. :) I'm not going to try to tell you how to make this stuff, because it's pretty finicky, so I'll direct you to the original recipe I used, which you can find here: http://bitten.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/08/25/introducing-a-recipe-contest-with-prizes/ The original comes from a book called simply "Fat" by Jennifer McLagan.

I had to go through some calisthenics to get mine to turn out. I started it in a food processor, but there was so little volume from one egg yolk that it wouldn't reach the blades. So I had to scrape everything into a blender. Then I had to add another egg yolk to get a good emulsion going. Then I had to add more lemon juice to cut through the extreme savoriness of the bacon. The end product is delightful though. :) I think I'm going to make chicken salad with it.

16 comments:

Bryan - oz4caster said...

I'm thinking deviled eggs and hamburgers here :)

Even paleo/low carb it should go well on top of burger meat. Might go well in potato salad for those who aren't low carb.

Darcey Blue said...

Yay!! Isn't it sooooo perfectly delicious!! I'm so glad it worked for you!
Sometimes I do half and half (half bacon fat half olive oil) which is also tasty.

Anna said...

I need to make this too. I have the FAT book and I have at least two containers of strained bacon fat in the fridge. I generated so much bacon fat at one point (pre-cooking 4 lbs of bacon at a time in the oven prior to my husband & sons YMCA camping trips) I had to start throwing it out because I couldn't use it fast enough. This is a great way to use it up faster, as we love mayo anyway and I like to make mayo.

I like to use a hand held "stick" immersion blender to make mayo, in a container that is taller than it is wide. Less mess and cleanup is easy, works great with the low volume of egg, and is fast.

Marc said...

Anna,
Great stuff, I will try it.

Gave you a shout out today...
The strawberry vinaigrette came out amazing!! Thanks for posting that one.

Marc

Anonymous said...

This sounds fantastic! What happens when you refrigerate it? Is it still spreadable?

Anonymous said...

Oh yum! I've been wondering what I could use instead of EVOO. This would be perfect. Oh, and the thought of deviled eggs is just delectable.

Matthew C. Baldwin said...

Have you tried Spectrum Brand Organic Canola Mayonnaise? It's awesome, and, where I live (Asheville NC) available in the regular grocery store.

Methuselah - Pay Now Live Later said...

Have you ever tried doing this with chicken fat? When we roast a whole organic chicken we get half a cup of chicken fat at the bottom of the dish. This tastes fantastic and we often leave it in the fridge and use it as butter once it has set. I bet it would make a great base for mayo.

Kelly said...

Have you tried Wilderness Family Naturals Mayo?

mjs said...

canola oil is evil. if you want good fat mayonnaise there is only one choice

Wilderness Family Naturals

* Certified Organic, (Raw) Centrifuged Extra Virgin Olive Oil
* Certified Organic, (Raw) Unrefined Sesame Seed Oil
* Certified Organic, (Raw) Centrifuged Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
* Certified Organic, Eggs
* Certified Organic, Vinegar
* Certified Organic, Spices (Ground Mustard, Garlic, Onion & Paprika)
* Certified Organic, Evaporated Cane Juice
* Sea Salt

Linda said...

You owe me a new keyboard! i drooled all over mine! *giggle*

me said...

I live in France and do a lot of fattened duck recipes...confit, fois gras, etc.. I have gallons of duckfat and will be trying this recipe using some of my stock.

dining room tables said...

This is one thing that I have been doing for ages. I actually really like this.

Tiana said...

Have you tried using just plain Olive Oil and not EVOO. I made my first batch with EVOO and it was horrible. Made it with plain olive oil and it turned out great. And once made you can add anything to it for dipping sauces or ranch

Unknown said...

I found your recipe and had to try it. I used black forest bacon and left the bits in, wow what a flavor! I also used the whole egg and doubled up on the mustard powder and apple cider vinegar and added fresh ground black pepper. I plan to try this in my hot and cold potato salad. Thank you sooo much, you've made the whole family happy

megtreb said...

I've been looking all over for something like this because I have the same problem - how to make mayo without using industrial seed oils or olive oil which tastes terrible in mayo! Even with plain olive oil my husband doesn't like it. But a question: can I do it with just egg whites? He's allergic to the yolks. What I've been doing is making egg white mayonnaise and just using canola oil even though I know its a problem, but I figure there's not that much in one spoonful. So what do you think - will it work with just egg whites? Has anyone tried it?